“We are delighted that our Gents Captain Rob Bartlett is the first person to write a blog for our new website.”
It is my privilege to write a short blog on this, our re-vamped website. Congratulations to Tony Nickson and his General Purposes Committee for bringing this project to a successful conclusion.
It seems appropriate to mention our wonderful golf course first. To say it’s been a wet winter is a gross understatement, but despite this our Head Greenkeeper Lee Carratt and his men have kept us playing. Well done to you all, Lee.
The Daily Mail Competition began well for Belton Park when our First Team (Captained by Nigel Harris and represented by Chris Burns, Jack Diment, Matt Haynes, Chris Haynes and Steve Mitchell ) won their opening encounter at home against Belton Woods by the handsome margin of 5 – 0.
In the 2nd round we look forward to playing our local rivals Stoke Rochford GC away on Friday 21 March.
Any support would of course be most welcome. Tee off is at 1:00PM.
Congratulations to the ladies who saw off Chesterfield on Thursday 6 March at Belton Park. Our successful team was:
Julie Hamer, Annette Fordham, Shelley McClelland ,Joy Stepney and Anna Clark.
An excellent win and we await news of the next round.
First and Second Teams
The First and Second Teams have been selected for their traditional friendlies against Radcliffe, the first team away and second team at home, on Saturday 15 March.
- First team (away)
Non-playing Captain: Nigel Harris
1. Mark Sutton/ Chris Haynes
2. Simon Pullen/ Harry Glenn
3. Leon Bell/ Aiden Greenberry
4. Mick Sims/ John Kirkup
5. Steve Mitchell/ Alex Clarricoates
The lead off match will be played by Simon Williams and Rob Bartlett.
Congratulations to Harry Glenn and Alex Clarricoates on their first time call-ups for the First Team
- Second team (home)
1. David Price / Bob Chapple
2. Andy Trotter / Mike Hallam
3. Max Sims / Chris Mottershead
4. Nigel Gibson / Tony Gleave
5. Greg Meehl / Jake Craddock
Terry Guest and Club Vice Captain Tony Nickson play the lead off social match.
Pro-Captain Challenge (better Ball Stableford)
I have posted 16 dates on which Simon and I would be delighted to play challengers. Challengers put up a stake of £5 per man and will retain that stake if they BEAT us. If not, the £10 will go to the Captain’s Charity. Stakes are matched by the Captain and always go to the Charity. Matches will be played in the main at 10:00 AM on various Wednesdays through the season and I look forward to playing with you and to giving you lunch after the game. For those who find Wednesdays difficult Simon and I have replaced some of the Wednesdays with Friday 3:00 PM matches in order to make it easier for some of our working members to make a challenge. We tried to find some Sundays but only managed two (sorry – the diary is very full!) I hope the new dates might prove convenient to those who found Wednesdays difficult.
Tony Davies the C team captain has put up his list and members looking for good social but competitive golf could find no better team to sign up for.
I wish Bill Brogan, the Seniors’ Captain a successful Captain’s AM AM and lunch on Tuesday 25 March
County Under 16 Selection
Congratulations to Harry Glenn on his selection for the County U-16 squad; a thoroughly well deserved honour.
Off course Improvements
- Members will have noted that the greens staff have set about creating a good lawn in front of the clubhouse to give the club a well-tended look from time of arrival. This initiative was suggested by the greens staff and our thanks go to Lee and his team.
- The paving on the putting green side of the clubhouse is in process of being re-done as the original had become un-level and was no longer suitable for use at functions such as weddings.
Near term diary.
- Sunday 16 March – Lifeboat Trophy (any combination BB Stableford).
- Sunday 23 March – Mixed Gender Stableford.
- Saturday 29 March – Quiz night.
I wish you all good golf and especially dry golf and look forward as always to seeing you on and off the course.